Picture of four sausages on the grill, which was probably lit with lighter fluid.

Every year, children are injured after ingesting lighter fluid, often in connection with barbecuing.

Lighter fluid

Every year, several hundred children are injured after ingesting lighter fluid, often in connection with barbecuing. Reduce the risk of accidents by storing lighter fluid out of reach and sight of children.

A small amount of lighter fluid in the mouth or airways is enough to cause breathing difficulties in children. So-called chemical pneumonia may develop later on after exposure.

Lighter fluids must be marked with a hazard symbol and warning text. Also, they may only be sold in black, opaque bottles that do not hold more than one litre. The purpose is to minimise the risk of small children ingesting the product.

How to reduce the risk of accidents

  • Store lighter fluid out of the reach and sight of children.
  • Always screw the cap securely on the bottle.
  • Do not rely on the so-called child-resistant closures.
  • Do not pour lighter fluid into jugs, soda bottles or similar containers.

In case of an accident

Call 112 and request Poisons Information if someone has ingested a substance that can be hazardous to health or if someone gets such a substance on their skin.

Swedish Poisons Information Centreexternal link

Read about labelling and hazard symbols

Last published 11 November 2020